Sunday, April 18, 2010

What's In Bloom

Creeping Phlox, Grape Hyacinths, Vinca and some tulips are blooming in the front yard. The tulip selection is pathetic and I won't attempt planting them again until I've gotten over the frustrations of the last couple of seasons. I spent plenty of money and hours planting rivers of tulips in the front beds only to have them devoured by the otherwise adorable chipmunks. I thought I was clever the following year and ordered en masse from an inexpensive catalog and planted again, this time with a generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper from my pantry. Success?
The tulips were not eaten; nor were they as advertised. They emerged pale and puny and not even the colors I ordered. A couple of these little insults are up now.
Dogwood, Redbud, several azalea varieties, Virginia Bluebells, Bleeding Hearts and Trout Lilies are in full bloom out back. Lily-of-the-Valley and 'false' Lily-of-the Valley, and the bugle weed are emerging.

No comments:

Post a Comment